Sunday, February 26, 2012

My personal take..

On something that most people would find...

Inconsequential?  Silly?  Maybe?  It's hard to find the right word for it.

As many of you are well-aware, I attach myself to some odd things pretty strongly.  I know that sometimes my "connections" to things exceeds the comprehension of onlookers, increasingly so depending on their distance from what I consider the orbit of electrons in my life.  I don't feel it's commentary on anyone's ability to understand, or even a remark on their intelligence or insight.

Very rarely, do I feel the overwhelming urge to explain these "obsessions" if you will.  Bare with me, if you would... but consider this:

When hearing "obsession," what comes to mind?  Obsession is really a rather broad term, which I hadn't actually thought about before until recently.  No wonder I feel like I haven't been able to properly explain my attachment to certain characters, ideas... etc.  I believe, or suspect anyway, it would seem that the most common connotation for the word often implies a certain nonsensical and excessive fixation on something that either does nothing for the "obsessee"  (other than the "enjoyment" they receive), or very well could be a negative influence.  Causing them emotional distress over a delusion that actually affects their judgement to varying degrees.

However, what I've often observed not only in myself, but mostly through others, is a connection that they themselves cannot understand.  Maybe that's why people who do become obsessed with things become obsessed to begin with.  That lack of understanding to their own fixation only encourages it to exist to begin with.  We're allured by mystery and from my personal standpoint, most of us are "obsessed" with trying to make sense out of the world we live in and our place in that world.  So naturally, that would extend to the very progress of mankind to our very specific, personal mysteries.

That all being said, the only difference between me and a lot of people who are "scary" with their obsessions (admits to not actually knowing which category (I) fall under... -omission of my own naivete, perhaps) is where I end up in the long run.  I don't let go until I understand it.  I'm not saying no one else does this, in fact I can think of several who are probably enthusiastically open to admitting they're the same way in many respects, but often I observe that people want to understand, they just lack the tools in order to do so.  The obsession eventually falls off the grid and they move on to something else.  I feel bad for them.


That passion, when not communicated in an effort the person in question sees fit, eats at them.  I think to some degree, depending on how much an obsession fails to provide personal insight, the more it damages a person, unknowingly.  Even worse sometimes, when a person has "given up" on something they're obsessed with and in turn rejects it from that moment forward, due to their seeming inexplicable frustrations, is left actually a little more crippled in their own self-awareness then what they were before even discovering the obsession to begin with. This can of course be addressed (most of the time subconsciously) in the future, but generally it's with something else entirely.  The old thought/love, if you will, is lost and just as arbitrary as ever.


This happens to everyone, really.  We can't always understand everything.  Stating it so simply actually should make every one of us comforted.  "It happens."  Sometimes we're fortunate enough to revisit an old love that we never had quite figured out at the time, only in turn to learn so much about ourselves.  I love it when life comes full-circle.


So, for me, as a notably obsessive individual, I feel an outstanding need to express something I've been trying to express in numerous ways for quite some time now.  Due to the lack of specific and desired feedback that I've been reaching for, I consider it partially a failure on my behalf to communicate this idea effectively.  


I'm going to put myself on a limb here.  I'm going to explain something (or at least attempt to) to the full extent that I possibly can (and as concisely as I can too).  


First, I'll bluntly state, I know some of my closest electrons (I say that most endearingly... we're all the the centers of our own universes) do get it.  They get it a lot.  It resonates with them exactly as I hoped it would.  Some of the others, I know it hasn't.  It's all in the reaction.  That's okay too.  There are too many factors to list as to why I feel that is.


The reason I first introduced the Myers-Briggs personality test to my friends most specifically was because I wanted them to first and foremost to have a better understanding of themselves, but not only that, but also hopefully a bit of appreciation.  Honestly, I know my efforts there were successful, as far as I can perceive anyway.  That's the easiest way to appeal an idea to someone... make it about them.  I promise, this isn't as evil as it may sound... but it's just the way we all work.  You want me to watch/read/get into something?  Appeal to my vanities.  It's what we do.  It's actually really funny how predictable all of us are.


The second reason was because I wanted them to understand me better, thus us better.  I wanted to inspire conversation, thought.  This is the area where I know I've failed simply because I haven't had these conversations.  It deeply disappoints me, but not in the individuals themselves (okay, sometimes a little bit) but just in general.  We just don't think about that kind of stuff sometimes.  We get so preoccupied with the BS of our lives that we forget.  I'm certain if we could romp around in meadows all day and sip tea as we watched the sun set together, these conversations probably would have happened, and not provoked entirely by myself.


So I implemented a new strategy...



When I watched this show through for the second time (which is significant to state), I felt that it was the summation, the "cherry on top," to everything I had learned through the Myers-Briggs personality assessments and overall learning I had obsessively researched about the inner workings of the brain.  It just so happened to be too perfect, which is really why I pushed it on everyone so vigilantly.  Why?? Because I'm this guy:

Even though at first, I only kind of saw it... and even though in some ways, I kind of hate it.  We're too similar (minus the life circumstances, naturally).  At first, I didn't even recognize that I am in fact, equally as absurd... among other perhaps more notable points.  I'll get back to this momentarily.

But in truth, it was about assessing the workings of the social group as a whole that helped me to see the bigger picture.  The knowledge I obtained from such an obscure source re-sparked a lot of passion in me.  I reacquainted myself with my truest priorities and intentions, and tell me this my friends:  How could that possibly be a bad thing?

What I became more fully aware of was how the Japanese really do put a lot of thought into their storytelling.  There was so much symbolism in that show that any literary/art nut would have enough to analyze for a satisfying amount of time.  That's what helped me realize initially how much thought went into it.  When I realized why it is that we respond the way we do because of how our brains are literally wired, it's no wonder we can identify so strongly with these characters.

Considering the creators thought into just the visual symbolism (that ranges from incredibly obvious to the extremely subtle), it wasn't difficult for me to make the leap between typology and the individual characters.  Equating them, almost effortlessly, to the people closest to me brought to my attention how true the characters stay to their types.  That's kind of the whole point to the show anyway, when you really think about it.  

Being so far away from everyone that has been apart of my entire life experience to date, it enhanced my appreciation for my closest friends, current or otherwise.  It's not that we're a tight-knit bunch of friends, or even that I'm the scarily similar "daddy" of our ganglion of friends, it's that we really do fit these characters to a science... literally science.  How neat is that?  That's pretty neat.

I would like to conclude this by saying, I really love you guys.  That's why I wanted you to watch that show. I just want you to understand, if anything, how much I love you.

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely brilliant. I love your take on obsessions. I find that when I was a child, I had a few obsessions. But I was obsessed with things my family just didn't understand at all. So very few of the things I've been obsessed with have been pursued to their full extent, which I've always viewed as kind of tragic. But, then again there's little way to tell if those were real obsessions or just childish whims.

    I think you make an excellent point though. And I also think that this highlights a difference between us. We both desire the same kind of in-depth interaction with other people. However, it seems you put more effort into making it happen than I do. Not that I never try to make meaningful social interactions happen, it's just that I'm careful as to whom I do it with. Because it seems the only true catalyst for inciting real conversation is to expose one's own flaws and insecurities. The difference between us being that I pick and choose very few individuals whom I consider to be capable of such interactions, while you attempt to 'make it happen' for everyone. I'm not going to say either way is better. There have been times when I considered that it would be excellent to possess your degree of charisma.

    However, I'm sure you're aware of the various burdens and troubles that come to your soul when you try to lay yourself bare to people who may or may not be capable of proper reciprocation. Even though the rewards may be worth it, that's for you to decide.

    And of course this fits perfectly into your new obsessive metaphor. You have all the highs and lows of being 'daddy' for everyone. But I'm really just concerned with one little sister at a time ;)

    P.S. if you want to reply to this and keep talking, which of course I'd love to, I recommend some other media, i don't check your blog very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/20000000/-Nekozawa-ouran-high-school-host-club-20059448-640-480.jpg

      [Don't know how to make this appear as an image]

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying again... might be 3 parts

    I find it interesting that in general, the way the mind works, and even my mind per say that these things you talk about… the odd things, I don’t find them to be odd at all, more like natural. Something I actually have discovered about myself is that I’m tolerant, or rather I try to be tolerant of others and try and understand things. I think that if people took more of an effort to understand someone, than they wouldn’t think these things are odd at all. And, I’m not saying that once I understand something I will like it but I will accept what someone else likes, regardless if I like it or not because that person likes it and they should be able to like whatever they want even if I don’t agree. That’s something that I strive to do anyways >O< I don’t always succeed but yeah just throwing that out there.

    Hmm obsession… it is something I do tend to either regard as negatively or what society thinks as negative, it affects the way people think of that word, it is generally associated with the negative, but I like the way you’re describing it… it makes sense to me anyways, that it can be both positive and negative depending on how the person fixates over it.

    Ahh I know even more what you mean about the lack of understanding! This has puzzled me too; that something you fixate over encourages the existence! It is undeniably frustrating… it makes me think of great scientists obsessing over things, like the stars for instance, if people did not wonder where the stars were, then we would never have discovered space! And so on and so forth x3

    Hmm, that I understand too! I’ve sometimes been told that my obsession with certain things (things = wondering about the thoughts of others) to be obsessive but I don’t see what’s so wrong about wanting to know what someone is thinking… ever since I took a health course, we talked about mental health and that really fascinated me! Communication, it is something we take for granted! I’m not saying I want to know every little thing a person thinks of me but if there is a problem, I will tell a person if I have a problem and I want to receive that courtesy… this is only one example but yeah, like you say of different obsessions, I wonder if this is a bad thing, I really only want to get to the solution of a problem XD; as I like to quote Rex from Toy Story- I hate confrontation! Though now, I think that I just want to be accepted, and not necessarily avoid confrontation, but be able to talk about things freely… I feel I’m getting off topic now?

    AHH! I guess I wasn’t getting too off topic reading this paragraph about communication! Lol yeah… if you couldn’t tell, something has been eating away at me >O< which is why I think this is hitting home for me so well ;3 I am missing some key ingredients, and I can’t get the answers and it’s driving me wild… and I don’t want to give up until I get the answers, the question is how to get them >.> I’m very stubborn, I don’t want to give up but I do have to not think about it sometimes because I feel like it will “reject and cripple” me… and yes, it probably can be addressed in the future but yeah now it’s just, what to do >.>

    Yes, coming full circle is indeed better than to be left wondering… it would be great to understand everything but at the same time I wonder if there is a reason that not everything can be understood O_O hm I hope I’m getting this then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe electrons :3 I like your use of metaphors- that helps, and it is true, no matter how we are taught we always will be the center of our own universe… how we use it matters though, I think. But yeah, the personality test, there were only parts of mine that made sense and I think it might be due to the fact I’m a rather indecisive person. I don’t like to use just yes or no answers so when I was torn between 2 answers, I was doubtful if I was clicking the right choice. I wouldn’t say for all the answers but maybe half of them? I think deep down I’m rather complex, and I’m not quite sure if people realize it… this is why I’m rather interested in the zodiac. I realize not all of it is accurate, but my sign is said to be secretive and I think this is quite true. Of course, I’m sure there are things that everyone keeps to themselves and never tells anyone… though then again that right there goes back to the center of their own universe thing and what I think of myself compared to what others think of me… it’s really fascinating.

    Ehh I sort of went off on a tangent. I think you inspire conversation and thought. I’ve never quite thought so much about something before- which is why I think I get confused and have to answer things paragraph by paragraph. I’m not used to using more than a certain amount of my brain activity so this is challenging for me. Like, I enjoy talking to my friends, especially close friends but we’ve never really talked about thought-provoking things. And then I get to read all the interesting posts of yours and it gets me using more of my brain ehe and one of the reasons I don’t often answer is because, as I said, sometimes it’s a challenge and I’m rather lazy- I kinda have to be in the mood for it, I guess? I understand what you mean, it’s true… people don’t realize in their day to day lives about other things to think about besides themselves and bills and all this other crap society invented to have us worry over. Yeah, can you imagine? No government, no politics, or crimes… just relax and talk, worry-free. I’m sure then there would be some interesting conversations!

    Though, it’s true- back before a lot of things were invented, people could think… a philosophers life! To be truthful, I took a philosophy course in college and dropped it- I don’t remember if I found it boring or if the teacher sucked or if I had to drop ‘cuz of too many kids but it makes me wonder now… philosophy is something alright XD and I literally haven’t thought about such things in a while, I like to, but not all the time, do you wonder about that too? Would we want to romp every day, discuss things every day? I wonder… heh

    Hehe oh Ouran~ one of these days I’ll try and watch it in a scientific view point XD but like I said, I need to be in the mood for it, usually I just like to watch it for their tom-foolery and shenanigans x3 ahh I know what you mean about kinda hating it…maybe? Tamaki is such a fool on the outside but on the inside he’s a wonderful person ☺ for you, I suppose it’s a different thing though

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don’t think being absurd is a bad thing, in fact I think I like those types of things more because it is so rare. I like when people can act how they want because they enjoy it, or to act themselves and not care. To me, that is a wonderful thing ^O^ and, I think that a lot of stories, since they are taken from life examples are so real to us and create a lot of emotions… yeah what I’m trying to say is that stories are like that, like you say- it’s more than just a story, they put heart into it and we identify… yeah, you know it’s funny… one of my male characters in my own original story reminds me of you now! Lol this was a character I made before I met you too! But I was writing it today and just some of the things I made him do made me think of you, kinda weird because he is a playboy type character XD but he is also a Tamaki character. He’s rather nutty and crazy, so maybe that’s why? Heh

    Of course, I’m sure a lot of my original characters were based off of characters I’ve read. Though, most of my main characters are usually females who I base off of me- but it’s interesting to me what I do with my other characters x3 and see how I’m relating myself to the creators of another series?? Center of my own universe or am I using it as a comparison since I’m a writer and want that comparison because I write? XD well, I’ve rambled enough! On a last note though, I really do think it’s amazing how special writing and reading is that it creates characters that we can relate to ☺ even before we know a person, it seems to have an effect! I love juu! >3<

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been garnering a few obsessions lately. It's very conflicting for me, because I can see productive things coming from some of them, and in other ways they are not. Either way, I'm not in much of a position to make anything from my obsessions right now. I just can't wait for us to move and get settled. It shouldn't take too much longer, we're fairly certain we're going to Seattle. I think once we have a home that's not a hotel room I'll feel much more balanced. I am enjoying Japan immensely though, and I will be very sad to leave it.

    ReplyDelete